Moving can be a stressful and chaotic process, filled with endless tasks and logistical challenges. One of the biggest concerns during a move is the safety of your belongings. It’s disheartening to discover that some of your cherished items have been damaged or broken in the process. In this blog post, we will explore some of the common items that are prone to breakage during a move and provide you with practical tips on how to safeguard your belongings. As an experienced and reliable removals company, Norman Ferns understands the importance of protecting your valuables throughout the moving journey.
Fragile Glassware & Dishes
Glassware and dishes are among the most vulnerable items during a move. The fragile nature of these belongings makes them susceptible to cracks, chips, and complete breakage. To prevent damage, consider following these steps:
- Use sturdy cardboard boxes specifically designed for fragile items.
- Wrap each piece individually with packing paper or bubble wrap.
- Place soft materials, such as towels or clothing, between each item to provide cushioning.
- Label the boxes as “Fragile” and instruct the movers to handle them with extra care.
Electronics, including televisions, computers, and audio equipment, require special attention when moving. The sensitive internal components can be easily damaged if not properly protected. Take the following precautions to keep your electronics safe:
- Remove any cables and accessories and pack them separately.
- Use the original packaging whenever possible. If not available, wrap the devices in anti-static bubble wrap and secure them in sturdy boxes.
- Clearly mark the boxes as “Electronics” and communicate any special handling instructions to the movers.
Valuable Artwork & Antiques
Artwork and antiques often hold sentimental and monetary value, making their protection a top priority. Consider the following tips to safeguard your prized possessions:
- Wrap framed artwork in acid-free paper or bubble wrap and secure them with corner protectors.
- Use custom-built crates or heavy-duty boxes for valuable sculptures or fragile antiques.
- Consider insuring your valuable items before the move to provide extra peace of mind.
Mirrors & Picture Frames
Mirrors and picture frames are notorious for cracking or shattering during a move. Protect these delicate items by:
- Using specially designed mirror boxes or packing them individually with bubble wrap.
- Adding an “X” with masking tape across the surface of the glass to minimize damage if it does break.
- Storing them vertically rather than horizontally to reduce pressure on the glass.
While furniture is less prone to breakage, it can still suffer from scratches, dents, or structural damage if not handled properly. Here’s how to ensure the safety of your furniture:
- Disassemble large furniture pieces whenever possible and keep all screws and parts in labeled bags.
- Wrap furniture in protective blankets or bubble wrap to prevent scratches and dings.
- Use furniture sliders or dollies to avoid dragging heavy pieces across floors.
Moving is a time when your belongings are vulnerable to potential damage. By understanding the common items that are prone to breakage and taking precautionary measures, you can significantly reduce the risk of damage during the moving process. Norman Ferns, a reliable removals company, recognises the importance of protecting your valuables and offers professional assistance to ensure a smooth and secure move. Remember, investing time and effort into safeguarding your belongings will ultimately provide you with peace of mind as you embark on your new journey. If you would like to ensure the safety of your items during the moving process, then contact us about our professional packing service today.